Physiotherapy For Dog Lovers
Now I bet you didn’t think you’d see that on a blog!
Here’s the good news…
Dog owners experience less serious health conditions such as heart disease, cancer and stroke. This is because they HAVE to get out every day and usually hit at least 20 minutes of walking daily. This is great for their cardiovascular fitness, weight management and mental health.
Unfortunately not all dog walkers know all the secrets to staying injury free and I’m going to share them with you now.
Common Causes Of Injuries In Dog Walkers
Change of terrain: If you are used to walking on the flat and sudden increase the hills you are doing too quickly
Change of shoes or inappropriate footwear: stop trying to climb mountains in your wellies!
Change of speed: started walking more quickly to lose weight. You have the right idea but we need to build up slowly!
An over excited dogs! Do you know how many shoulder injuries I have seen from pulling dogs?! Beagles seem to be the biggest culprit!
Being knocked over! I had seen several leg fractures and ankle injuries this year alone from bouncy dogs.
Slipping down damp banks.
- Achilles problems
- Calf tears/strains
- Back pain
- Shoulder problems: muscle strains, repetitive strain
- Nerve irritations
Secrets To Avoiding Injury
- Build up overload gently and only change one thing at a time. For example trying to increase speed distance and length of time all at once may cause injury.
- Don’t ignore pain particularly achilles as its harder to treat further down the line.
- Sensible footwear appropriate for the surface.
- Stop wearing flip flops to walk your dog!!!
- Look at alternative haltie collars if you dog pulls excessively or consider training classes.
- Be careful over difficult terrain and make sure that you choose the safer route if faced with a bank ( particularly if it has leaves on it and is wet!)
THE PHYSIO CREW
We help people who see health as their single most important asset, improve their lives and recover from injury.
We help them by delivering evidence based, hands on treatment.
We empower and educate people so that everyone has the opportunity to discover life without pain.
We know that we have been successful when we change people’s lives, help them overcome pain and help them achieve their potential.
Thank you for supporting us 😊